All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Post subject: Discussion: Defenses
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 pm 

Not so much a rules question as a discussion.

Does anyone think there should be no defenses in the game? Or that they should be only usable for normal attacks?

Last edited by Tuknar on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Discussion: Defenses
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:38 pm 

So I have no experience of what it would be like to play without defenses, so take all this for what it's worth. And I understand this is a pretty big factor of the rules and balance and all that. I do not think it is a bad system entirely either. I was mostly just curious as to what other people thought about it.

I have a couple qualms with how defenses play out in game. In my experience they usually take away from the fun of playing instead of adding. My biggest issue is it seems to slow down and interrupt combat a lot. That could probably be solved another way besides getting rid of them, but the pause to clarify if it worked or was the right defense seems to be one of the most common discussions mid fight.

This could be just me, but it's just so disappointing to use skills and have them seemingly constantly be ineffective. Mostly this when I PC and the NPCs use their defenses that they can use more easily as they will be dead in a couple minutes anyway, where as players only have a few per encounter. But also as an npc a bit. Generally it feels to me like a legal/justified way in game to not take hits which it is in a way, maybe it seems like there are just unlimited blocks out there when I fight people.

I think I'd rather see more strategy and cooperation of players in order to counter different effects or challenges. If your arm is disabled, know who can heal it and let them get to feel helpful by restoring it. Or how much more satisfying is defeating your opponent without a limb than just walking all over it like god mode or something. I think I like the specific defenses a little better, like retain for disarm. I know that can get a little complex too with a hundred different counters, but feels more intentional in skill use and bp spending then just a flat free block or something.

Again just wanted to add my thoughts to this particular area of gameplay. I guess to me it seems like a game of chess where everyone wants to "make the right move" rather than creating an experiences and have encounters feel unique each time even if it were just muckins or grubins. Just different styles of combat or LARPing I guess. If it never changes I'd be fine but I'd also be happy to see some tweaks. Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Discussion: Defenses
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:56 pm 

I have also seen some of what your talking about. But I do see that staff is already on this and I am sure they will handle it is a way that is fitting and fun.

I feel like the main "problem" is that their just are not enough NPCs for the number of players that go on most mods. Wile no one wants to feel left out, an in game way to limit the number of player on a given mod would cut back on the "need" for "+2 blocks per card". But that is only worth as much as anyone else's 2Cp.

But if your looking for a fun way to make skills "stick" to an npc try teaming up with someone else in game to "make an opening". Monsters for the most part, seam to be just like players as far as stats go. These means that they will have protective skills in the same amount we would. So Renyard and Lets say Gorehack are fighting a brute type npc like a bear. Both PCs have seen things like this before and have an idea of what they are in for strong, thick skin, etc. So Renyard attacks with "between the Seams" ( stun effect) if it works then gorehack hits it with some huge Two hander amount of damage skill ie dire strike. IF the bear could have blocked that stun it would have so at this point body based skills are going to land on the npc. IF the bear would use block on the "between the seams" attack, then just reuse the skill until the npc is out of blocks. At a mind level most players have more skill slots then anyone could have blocks,wards, or willpowers.

In the video from last event we got to see Hero use one skill to hit 2 different NPCs with a high amount of damage. That would have likely draw out 2 different blocks for the use of one skill. If anyone joining that fight after seeing that (and the npcs were still standing due to having used a block) they could see in game that the NPCs were "rocked onto their heels" and more open to attack(they can use one less block). Or seeing it like it did happen you would see that strong weapon attack are something that monster can not defend themselves from. It was also a great opening attack an fun to watch.

Hitting the same bear with a Mind skill is a safe bet to end the fight out right. I just wanted to use a scenario that was a bit more complex.